Interview: Tahj Mowry!

By Brandan on 11/04/2009 11:00:00 AM

Filed Under: ,


Actor/Singer Tahj Mowry is stepping out of the shadows of acting...and transitioning to the music scene. He is recently featured on Multi-Platinum recording artists Boom Boom Satellites' track "Kick It Out" along with Flo-Rida. He talked with Excite Magazine about his venture & passion for music, his acting career, his family, & more!



Interview by: Brandan






Tahj: How you doing today man?

EM: I'm good...how is the weather out there in California?

Tahj: It's raining man, but it's like 100 degrees. I don't like it too hot! (laughs) 70 degrees is nice.

EM: Cool, well it's cold out here man. So your new song is "Kick It Out" with Flo-Rida & Boom Boom Satellites, for those that don't know what is it about?

Tahj: It's basically about kicking out the norm and bringing in the new. All the negative, haters, all of that. Everything I do has a message! I want to bring it back to where Michael(Jackson) had it. Genres are attached to race and I want to break that. Hip-Hop isn't just for blacks, Rock isn't just for caucasians.

EM: Right, so how did the collaboration come about?

Tahj: Well in Japan, Boom Boom Satellites are really popular. They're multi-platinum artists! They wanted to come to the states to bring their music here. They are crazy talented and different. We basically thought about bringing Hip-Hop, rock, r&b-mix it all together. I am really honored and it's definitely an edgy, fresh new sound. Now music is kind of repeatitive and it's good to hear something different and good.

EM: Cool, in addition to the song...will you release your own music & album?

Tahj: Yeah definitely, my single will be out this year in like December, and the album will be released shortly afterwards.

EM: What's gonna be the album title?

Tahj: I actually don't have one just yet. I haven't thought that far...but it will probably be self-titled.

EM: What can we expect from the album?

Tahj: Well I dance too, so that will be included. Alot of people don't know that I use to dance with Debbie Allen & Wade Robson. Seeing shows and videos I got back into dance, and I do it everyday. And it makes me feel good.

EM: Yeah I saw your video with the choreography to "Kick It Out" and you were tearing it up! I didn't know you could dance like that.

Tahj: Oh, thanks man!

EM: So who is your music directed towards and what is your message?

Tahj: The age range is from kids to adults, all races! Kinda tricky to make everyone happy but I'm up to the challenge! Me as an artist, I can be alternative, R&B, with a rock undertone. But the main thing is young teens & adults. What I put out I want a message that can relate to all. I want longjevity! No 3 albums and that's it(laughs)!

EM: (Laughs) we wouldn't want that. Why did you choose this time to come out as oppose to earlier or later?

Tahj: Umm well, everything is about timing. I grew up with a Christian upbringing...God's time, will manifest God's will. Before that I was in school, playing football in college. I'm 23 now and I'm at the right age to handle everything really.

EM: Who inspires you musically?

Tahj: Michael Jackson! How big and amazing he was, I mean ask any artist and he influences them. I listen to him everyday. When he was in his prime he was the bridge that pulled everyone together! After he wasn't really releasing music, music went back to races and genres. I wanna take that responsibility to put it back! You have some kids being bullied or hiding the fact they listen to other kinds of music. If you're black and listen rock or something then you're not "black enough". That's sad.

EM: Right, true.

Tahj: I study Mike, his prescence...and learn. I'm not gonna imitate(laughs) just seeing how he moved the crowd and connected with everyone. But what really made me want to do this for real was when I was like 14/15 and Usher came out with 8701. When I listened to that, I said this is what I wanna do. That clicked a light in my head! But back to the question, people like Prince, Lenny Kravitz, & Brandy(she's like tho voice of R&B). They're my top performers.

EM: If you could work with anyone in music today, who would that be?

Tahj: Janet is #1. I look up to her! She's amazin', now that Michael is gone...I'm so hype for her next album. I would probably be starstruck from her.

EM: Were you there at the MTV Awards when she performed?

Tahj: I was in New York doing some other stuff, but naw I wasn't there. I'm not there on that level to be invited yet(laughs) but I will be next year! Hopefully performing. But I also want to work with Prince or Lenny, playing on guitars that would be tight.

EM: Are you planning on touring before you drop your album?

Tahj: Right now we're talking about a High-School Tour, but nothing is concrete at the moment.

EM: Cool. Well you know people still might look at you as "Smart Guy" or Tia & Tamera's little brother. Is that an image you try to break away from?

Tahj: Kinda both. I will always embrace how I started, it gave me my name! I will not forget. I don't wanna blow that away, my fans who followed me. Before that I was gone for like 3 or 4 years, to come back and fans are still there. I love my fans! But I wanna make my own. I won't forget where I came from. I love my sisters, but this is my time to shine(laughs)

EM: (Laughs). Do you plan on doing anymore acting anytime soon?

Tahj: Definitely. Music is #1 right now! But I do have a few projects in development, I've had some off time and I'm excited.

EM: What actors or actresses would you like to work with in the future?

Tahj: Will Smith! He's like the Michael Jackson of movies. He has the same amount of caucasian & black people who follow him. He has no bad movies, and it wouldn't matter if he did...because that's just how big he is. Hopefully I could play his son or something like that(laughs). But I also want to work with Halle Berry, Charlize Theron, & Meryl Strep. She's like at the Oscars every week(laughs) she's probably bored of going. So many talents.

EM: Would you work with your sisters again?

Tahj: Oh definitely. It's not even work when I'm with them! I did some reoccuring stuff on "The Game" with Tia. We help each other out.

EM: What would you say is your biggest obstacle?

Tahj: My biggest is not not have people look at me being an actor to singer. I want them to accept my music and talent! I don't care if you don't like it. Just respect it, I'm not trying to do a hobby...this is not just another paycheck! This is my passion. From age 6 to now I wanted to become this. My entire family sang. I crave more albums, I wanna give my fans all aspects of Tahj as an entertainer. I go full force, full out...I won't stop til' I get what I want!

EM: You & your sisters seem to have dodged the crazy Hollywood scandals, and life of drugs. Why do you think you guys stayed out of that lane after being in entertainment so long?

Tahj: Definitely our mom. She's been our manager since we started. It's good to have someone you trust on your side. Like I said earlier that Christian lifestlye was instilled in us. She told us look at what you do as a job. It is not your life; focus is God first, family, then passion. She kept it in line, she put me in regular school, being a regular person. People for some reason assume I'm mean but I'm not. Fans come up to me asking for hugs and all that and I talk to them. It's about living life, don't sweat over things that don't last forever.

EM: Exactly, well I think I have everything I need, it was nice talking to you. Thanks for doing the interview and I wish you much success in the future with your career!

Tahj: You're welcome and I appreciate that man.


After doing this interview, I'm convinced that Tahj is utterly serious about a career in music & he wants to bring a fresh, new image and sound that I'm sure will impact! I'm going to dub him as the "Architect" because he can constrcut the music game to a whole new level. He's creating his own lane and one can't be mad about that. He's a cool guy and I will be checking out for him when he drops his album and you guys should too!

For more information on Tahj & his Kick It Out movement you can visit the following links;

Twitter

Myspace

Kick It Out Movement

0 comments for this post

Post a Comment