Nelly: Hittin' Hard

By Shakeitta on 11/01/2007 03:15:00 AM

Filed Under: , ,


If you've been wondering what rapper Nelly has been up to lately, wonder no more. The St. Louis native hasn't just been taking a leisure filled break from the spotlight, he's been on the grind focusing on his many business ventures including the flourishing women's clothing line Apple Bottoms, his restaurant with the St. Lunatics Mack's Bar and Grill, and his basketball team. And let's not forget the music. Nelly has been putting together his 5th studio album Brass Knuckles which features his first single "Wadsyaname". We got the scoop on the music, the business, and a possible wedding with a certain R&B songstress? Now don't go jumping to conclusions just yet.
Read on to see what Nelly has to say.

Interview by: Shakeitta M.


EM: So let's get right to it, the last studio album you released was in 2004 now 3 years later your new album Brass Knuckles is set to release soon. What can we expect on this album?

Nelly: You can expect the same ole Nelly. Nothing has changed; the fans know what I'm all about. I did do different things with this album and it will be a surprise! You're going along for a ride with me.

EM: Any collaboration with other artists? If so, who?

Nelly: Ti, Lil Wayne, Sean Paul, Pharell, Akon, Chuck D, Jermaine Dupri, Snoop Dogg, Babyface, Pimp C, Rick Ross, and Avery storm. I have production from Neff-u who produced Wadsyaname, Pharell, Brian Michael Cox & JD.

EM: Why Brass Knuckles as the name for the album?

Nelly: It's titled brass knuckles for how hard it's going to hit you.

EM: So when can we expect the album to drop?

Nelly: The album comes out November 13

EM: Okay, so I want to know who is the number person that you'd like to do collaboration with in the future?

Nelly: Mariah Carey & Janet Jackson. I'm actually trying to get that together now, I'm just waiting on them to say yes.


EM: So, you've been kind of low key lately, what else is going on besides the new album?

Nelly: I' m getting ready to launch the clothing line Vokal again later this year, the restaurant business is booming right now and Apple Bottoms is doing real good and Charlotte Bobcats will be a beast this year.

EM: You were in the Longest Yard, any acting roles coming?

Nelly: As of right now, there are no roles. I'm concentrating on the business side right now.

EM: Did you enjoy the experience of acting in a film?

Nelly: Yes, I've done two films so far (Snipes and Longest Yard) I do enjoy it but the long hours makes you wonder but its cool.

EM: Do you think it's something you'd like to do more seriously in the future?

Nelly: I would really like to still pursue it and I am leaving all the options open, but like I said its business right now.

EM: So I have to ask, you and Ashanti, still on right?

Nelly: Yeah, of course we're still on. Don't believe these rumors everything is just fine with us, we're not goin' anywhere!

EM: I've been hearing rumors, is there a wedding in your future?

Nelly: There might just be one.



EM: I want to get your take on the recent 50 cent/Kanye West album battle. Do you think it was serious or just a marketing ploy?

Nelly: I think it was a little of both. This battle proved a big statement for hip hop and I think it was a sales boost for both men but they both were majorly successful before this sales battle anyway.

EM: Do you think it was affective at getting their albums sold?

Nelly: Yeah definitely

EM: Have you bought or listened to either album?

Nelly: I haven't got a chance to listen to them; business amongst other things has taken me over.

EM: Do you think the right album took the number 1 spot when they were released?

Nelly: Yeah I think so.

EM: I know that you have two young kids, now with the recent inundation of Britney Spears news especially involving her children, any advice for her as a parent?

Nelly: I can't give her advice, I'm not the perfect parent either; we all screw up but she just needs prayer and not ridicule ya know.

Nelly's Album Brass Knuckles is set to release November 13th.

0 comments for this post

Post a Comment